Thursday, March 3, 2011

Newbie Starting out (How hard it is to do researching a first timer)

(edited Post 8:37pm.)


In recent months I have found out how hard it is to find information on my surnames. Not to mention learning how to source citations. I'm actually still not sure if I have my citations right or not. LOL
Luckily, I found a great place a yahoo group for helping those in citing sources.  So hopefully I will get the hang of this.

Then there is the matter of finding the person your looking for the ancestors. It took me months just to find information on my bush line of what country they came from. I even found out what boat they came on.
Which was rather cool for me, And would be for any researcher looking for an ancestor.
I still struggle to find info on them. especially on finding German sites.
It sometimes does feel a little intimidating researching as I don't know what sites to always turn to for research.

And then there was the programs, My mom recommended Roots Magic and Legacy.
At first I was a bit wary about using them but, once I figured out how they worked it began to become easier and easier. I especially love the part of the programs where you can create pages.
I've also discovered an abundance of genealogical magazines recently that my mom had.  Which I found to be filled with lots of great links to places that are helpful.

To help anyone else that is first starting out on this genealogy ride. I'll put up some links in this post to help you out and ease some of your frustrations.

These programs have a try it before you buy it. Which is always a good policy. Especially not to have to pay for something you may not like. These are both great programs.

Roots Magic 


Legacy

ancestraldata.com

linkpedium.com/genealogy
And always remember Free sites are just as gold as pay or even more.
These are a couple off the top of my head. I'll find more for you and add them to the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment